Moving Your Waste

Prior to moving your waste, you must ensure you have the correct paperwork to accompany your hazardous waste load.

A consignment note must be completed to accompany every load of hazardous waste when it is removed from your premises or a Waste Transfer Note for non-hazardous waste. 

The paperwork must contain enough information about the waste so it can be handled safely and either recovered or disposed of legally, it should include:

  • a description of the waste
  • how the waste is contained or packaged
  • the quantity of the waste
  • the place, date and time of transfer
  • the name and address of both parties
  • details of the permit, licence or exemption of the person receiving the waste
  • the appropriate European Waste Catalogue (EWC) code for your waste.

There are normally three sections to the consignment note one for the producer of the waste; one for the haulier and one for the waste operator.  Certain sections (normally A, B and D) must be completed prior to the waste being removed from the registered site.

Click here for details our guide on how a consignment note should be completed.


If transporting the waste yourself, the waste should be in suitable and secure containers and vehicles, to prevent waste from being spilled, such as tankers, skips, intermediate bulk containers (IBCs), Hipods, etc.  You should cover or net loose materials to prevent them being blown out of the vehicle.

If you are using a third party to transport your waste, you must ensure that they are a registered or exempt waste carrier.  

We are a registered waste carrier authorised by the Environment Agency and Scottish Environmental Protection Agency

Download button