Registering premises

You must register your premises with the Environment Agency if your business produces hazardous waste in England and Wales.
Click on the name of the country to find out further details for registering your premises based in Northern Ireland or Scotland.
Though there are some exemptions to the rule, the easiest are:

  • Flytipped waste
  • Premises producing less than 500kg of hazardous waste in a 12 month period

NB:  You are not required to inform the Environment Agency if you believe you are exempt from registering.  However, as the producer of hazardous waste it is your responsibility to show that you are properly exempt.

Prior to registering your premises you need to know the following:

  • SIC Code
  • Before  you can register you will need a SIC code which identifies the type of your business and will assist the Environment Agency to understand what hazardous waste processes you carry out at your premises. 

  • Registration Number
  • Limited companies will need to provide your companies house registration number, which you can check at the Companies house website -  

Below are ways you can register your premises with the Environment Agency:


Five sites or less

As well as the information above, you will need a debit or credit card when you register by:


More than five sites

For bulk registration you will need to complete the necessary forms and either email or send on a disk to the EA.  For more information and to download the form, click here.


Registrations are valid for 12 months and if you continue to produce hazardous waste after this period you MUST renew the registration – this can be done up to one month in advanced of the expiry date.